Academic Policies and Regulations - Undergraduate

All policies and regulations outlined in this catalog will be interpreted and managed according to procedures which are too lengthy to be printed here. These protocols may be found in the office of the appropriate dean for each college or school. Students may appeal all academic policies and regulations to the appropriate dean, who may, depending on the circumstances, consult the Dean of Students.

Note: all policies and procedures pertain to the College of Arts and Sciences, School of Business, School of Nursing, School of Education and School of Professional Studies unless specifically addressed.

Requirements for Degrees

The fulfillment of degree requirements includes both credit-related and performance-related criteria. Students must complete a minimum of 120 credits for the Bachelor’s de­gree and 60 credits for an Associate's degree. In order to be eligible for a Saint Peter’s University degree in any major, at least one half the number of credits required in the major, exclusive of cognate requirements, must be earned in courses taken at Saint Peter’s University or in programs sponsored by the University. The maximum number of credits a student may transfer from a two-year institution is 66 credits, and the maximum number from a four-year institution is 90 credits. The credits must be distributed according to the curriculum outlined for each degree program. The last 30 credits for the degree, defined as the residency requirement, must be completed at Saint Peter’s University.

The performance-related requirement for all degrees reflects a standard of academic excellence. Students must attain a GPA of 2.0 for their entire academic record at Saint Peter’s University. In addition, all students must attain a minimum GPA of 2.0 in the courses required in their major program. Departments may establish GPA requirements higher than 2.0; whenever this is the case, the specific requirements will be stated in the “department section” of the catalog. All financial and property obligations to the University must be satisfied before a diploma can be issued.

Time Limitations for Earning Degrees

The normal time span for the completion of the Bachelor’s degree by full-time students is four years. Part-time students normally complete the Bachelor’s degree in six years.

These times may be shortened by attendance at summer sessions or lengthened depending on the needs of the student. The maximum period allowed to satisfy all requirements for the Bachelor’s degree is ten years and for the Associate’s degree, six years. In extraordinary cases, an extension of time may be permitted. Students who need an extension should file a request for extension, stating pertinent reasons, with the appropriate dean at least one term before the maximum time period has elapsed.

If an extension of time is requested, students should be aware of the following guidelines that the dean will have to consider:

  1. If courses taken more than ten years prior to the completion of the Bach­elor’s degree are courses in liberal studies such as literature and history, the dean may exercise discretion and waive the ten-year limit on the acceptability of these courses for a Bachelor’s degree.
  2. In technical areas where recent developments may have changed substantially the atmosphere of academic studies in a subject, the dean will submit the courses in question to the appropriate department chairperson who will indicate in writing whether the courses are still applicable and what steps students must take to update their knowledge in the subject area.

The same procedures apply in the case of courses taken more than six years prior to the completion of an Associate’s degree.

Criteria for Earning A Second Undergraduate Degree

Saint Peter’s University will grant a second undergraduate degree, either a Bachelor’s degree or an Associate’s degree, upon fulfillment of the following conditions.

  1. A minimum of 30 credits in the second major must be taken in courses at Saint Peter’s University, none of which was applied towards the previous degree.
  2. All current requirements of the core curriculum and the major program for the new degree must be fulfilled. Courses applied towards the core requirements for the previous degree may be utilized.
  3. At least four upper-division courses in the new major must be taken at Saint Peter’s University.
  4. At least one academic year must have elapsed since the granting of the previous undergraduate degree.

As a consequence of the above rules, students pursuing a second Bachelor’s degree must plan their course work so that these degrees are awarded in separate years. Any exceptions to this rule must be approved by the appropriate dean.

Granting of Bachelor's Degrees to Holders of Professional Degrees

Students who left Saint Peter’s University for study at a professional school before completing all of the requirements for a Bachelor’s degree may request approval for receiving a Bachelor’s degree from the University if they:

  1. completed three years of work (90 credits) at Saint Peter’s University;
  2. were in good academic standing upon leaving Saint Peter’s University;
  3. subsequently earned a higher degree in an accredited graduate or professional school; and
  4. are willing to have their work evaluated in light of the present course requirements of the University.

Candidates who apply for the granting of a degree under these conditions must apply to the appropriate dean who will determine whether the student meets the requirements, or if necessary, must take the courses needed to satisfy core requirements and/or bring the record up to 90 credits. If these conditions are met, the candidates should then have an official transcript from the professional school for­warded to the appropriate dean, file for graduation on Self-Service, and pay the graduation fee.

University Commencement Ceremony

Students that graduated last November or December or expect to complete their remaining program requirements in February, May or August are eligible to participate in the University’s annual Commencement exercises held at the close of the Spring term. Effective Fall 2016, students who need no more than 6 credits remaining to complete degree requirements may participate in the Commencement exercises provided they have pre-registered for the remaining coursework in the Summer. Exceptions to the credit requirement will be permitted for students in the School of Education who need to complete student teaching/clinical practice in the Fall term. Non-education students that will complete their requirements in December are not eligible to participate in this year's Commencement and will be eligible next year.

To qualify for Commencement Awards, all program requirements must be successfully completed in February, May or August. Candidates that apply for December and request participation in early Commencement will not be considered for awards. 

Participation in the Commencement exercises is ceremonial and does not constitute degree conferral. After final grades are received and a final graduation verification is completed, diplomas will be mailed approximately one month after the ceremony to those who qualify.  All obligations to the University, including financial, must be fulfilled before the diploma will be released. Students may only participate in one Commencement exercise. Degrees are awarded in May, August and December.

Advisement and Registration

General Information

Each student at Saint Peter’s University is assigned an academic advisor who aids the student in planning an academic schedule using Self-Service. Students must use Self-Service to plan their schedule and obtain their advisor’s ap­proval for each course before a student may register for any term. Registration dates for each term are published online in the Academic Calendar ( Student’s financial obligation must be satisfied by the Payment Due Date on the Payment Due Calendar (

Advisement for Traditional Day Students

Through the University Advisement Program, freshmen are assigned advisors upon entering the University and should consult with them periodically during their first year of study.  After their first term of study, students will be transitioned to their major department for academic  advisement. Students with multiple majors or minors will be assigned an advisor for each department and must consult with all advisors prior to registration for each term.

Advisement for School of Professional Studies (SPS) Students

Adult students are assigned academic advisors to assist them throughout their academic career. The academic advisor should be consulted and can review your course plan to ensure you are on track to complete your program requirements on time.

Administrative Deregistration

Students may be administratively deregistered from some or all of their courses if they fail to complete by published deadlines the following:

  • required forms for federal student aid
  • payment arrangements
  • if they lack appropriate course prerequisites or
  • if they fail to attend/participate in class.

Students are expected to maintain continuous registration until their program requirements are complete. Students who have not been in attendance for at least one year, will have their program administratively withdrawn as a result of non-registration by the Registrar's Office. 

Registration Between Schools

  • Evening (SPS) students may not register for traditional day (semester) courses.
  • Traditional day students are not permitted to take more than two quad courses unless an exception is approved by the Dean.
  • First-year students are not allowed to register for SPS courses unless an exception is approved by the Dean.
  • Undergraduate students may not register for winter trimester courses. 

Saint Peter’s University Credit Hour Assignment Policy

This Credit Hour Assignment Policy ensures that the number of credits awarded for the completion of each course taught at Saint Peter’s University reflects United States Department of Education (USDOE), Middle States Commission on Higher Education (MSCHE) and New Jersey state requirements for classroom hours and recommended out of class course work. 

The policy assures that measurable learning outcomes and credits awarded for the completion of programs that do not adhere to the standard definition of a “credit hour” (such as online, hybrid and internship courses, as well as credits awarded through prior learning assessment) are consistent with those assigned to traditional face-to-face courses, considering course content and expected learning outcomes.

This policy applies to the assignment of credit hours to all current and new Saint Peter’s University programs, undergraduate and graduate.

Definition of a Semester Credit Hour 

One semester credit shall be equal to not less than one hour (50 minutes) of classroom instruction plus two hours (120 minutes) of out of class course work over a span of no less than fifteen (15) weeks.  Courses that meet on a TF course pattern (75 minutes) over a span of no less than fifteen (15) weeks meet this credit hour requirement.

Course Requirements

Consistent with the definition of a semester credit hour policy, students in traditional lecture/discussion courses are expected to devote two hours outside the classroom on related course work, including study, preparation of written assignments and course-related projects. Instructors acquaint students with all course expectations at the beginning of each course with a detailed syllabus that follows a prescribed format to foster the attainment of measurable learning outcomes. Syllabi include all course requirements and policies in addition to sharing clear evaluation criteria.

For programs that do not adhere to the standard definition of a “credit hour” (such as online, hybrid and internship courses, including student teaching, and credits awarded through prior learning assessment), courses shall be consistent with those face-to-face offerings, with due consideration given to course content and measurable learning outcomes. In addition, syllabi include a clear set of course expectations, policies and evaluation criteria.

Ongoing Assessment of Semester Credits

The number of credits assigned to each course shall be considered in course design and syllabi with expected student learning outcomes for each course meeting the semester hour standard. Consideration of assigned credits are part of the periodic review of syllabi by department chairs, regularly scheduled annual course assessments involving faculty and students, curriculum committee reviews, and formal program evaluations.  The school deans collect and store syllabi each semester.


The Provost/Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs, the school deans, and the chair of either the Curriculum Committee or the Committee on Graduate Programs will review all new programs, including those associated courses and credit hours assigned, before submission to and approval by the Faculty Senate. New courses or changes to existing courses may not be instituted without prior departmental approval and the approval of the appropriate school dean. 

Student Status

Students enrolled at the University are classified as follows:

  • Traditional Day Student Status -Students enrolled in the undergraduate day fall and/or spring semes­ters. Full-time students are expected to enroll for a minimum of 12 credits per term.

  • School of Professional Studies (SPS) Status - Students enrolled in undergraduate evening 8 week terms. Full-time students are expected to enroll for a minimum of 12 credits per term.

  • Matriculated Students - Students who have satisfied the entrance requirements and are following a prescribed program of studies towards a degree. Matriculation starts on the first day of the term.

  • Non Matriculated Students - Students who are not pursuing a degree at Saint Peter’s University but who are admitted at the discretion of the University Registrar in certain circumstances to fulfill an academic need. Students may take no more than 12 credits before matriculating.

  • Auditors - Students who have the permission of the Dean of the school that the course is offered in and the instructor to attend the course on a non-credit basis.

  • Full-time Students - Students who carry a course load of 12-18 credits per semester or generally six credits per evening term. Unless stated otherwise for particular courses of study, permission to take credits beyond these limits in a term must be obtained from the appropriate dean.

  • Part-time Students - Students who carry a course load of fewer than 12 credits per semester or three credits per evening term.

Class Standing

A student’s class standing is determined by the number of credits earned by the end of the academic year:

Class Credits Earned
Freshman Status Fewer Than 30 Credits Earned
Sophomore Status 30 Credits Earned
Junior Status 60 Credits Earned
Senior Status 90 Credits Earned

Independent Study

An independent study is a course in which normally one student engages in study under the direction of a faculty member, with weekly meetings of at least one hour and fifteen minutes throughout the semester or one hour and fifty minutes each week of a trimester. The student must secure the permission of the instructor, who should not feel constrained to assume such extra work, and also obtain permission from the department chair and the dean. All independent studies must be approved by the appropriate dean in advance of the term for which they are planned. Ordinarily, no faculty member may direct more than one tutorial or independent study each term, i.e., two in any academic year and one in the summer.

Independent studies may be approved for:

a.) students who desire special study in a specific area, which is not ordinarily covered in sufficient breadth and depth to suit their particular needs and interests;

b.) students who because of legitimate academic or human problems (e.g., student teaching or illness) have been unable to take required courses when normally scheduled, and who for substantial reasons (e.g., course is no longer offered, course is irregularly offered and is not available during the appropriate year) will be unable to take such courses at any other regularly scheduled time. This category will not be construed as including students who, having legitimately been unable to take a regularly scheduled course, have subsequently neglected without good cause to take that course at one of its regularly scheduled times. Preference for a particular instructor or for a particular time is not to be considered good cause. I

Independent studies are not available to students as a means of replacing a grade in a course previously taken. Tutorials and independent studies are available only to matriculated Saint Peter’s University students and our graduates, and may be given only by Saint Peter’s University faculty. Registration for a tutorial or independent study must be completed prior to the end of the appropriate add period. The Independent Study Request Form is available in the Provost Forms Database.

Course Add/Drop Policy

Students may add and drop classes during the designated Add/Drop period for each term. The last date for adding and dropping classes for each term are listed in the Academic Calendar published by the Registrar and available online at Separate dates may be established for classes that do not follow the normal start/end schedule. Students who drop courses during the designated Add/Drop period will receive full (100%) refunds for those courses. Students with Financial Aid should be cautioned that dropping courses may affect their eligibility status and Financial Aid award amounts. Students must use Student Planning to add or drop courses.

Students are strongly cautioned against dropping classes indiscriminately, as doing so may affect eligibility for Financial Aid and scholarships, registration in other courses, full-time status, and overall degree progress. 

Note: Non-attendance does not constitute dropping a class. Students who never attend or stop attending class meetings will not be removed from class rosters. Furthermore, students who never attend or stop attending classes will be held responsible for their financial obligations to the University and will not be issued refunds. A student who does not officially drop or withdraw from a class by following the procedures described above, and in the Catalog will be issued an “F” as a final grade. Withdrawal requests submitted after the deadline will not be honored and will result in “F” grades due to failure to drop or withdraw from courses is final.

Withdrawing from a Class

After the add/drop period has concluded, students that need to withdraw from one or more courses must complete the Course Withdrawal Request Form for each course they would like to withdraw from. These course(s) will receive a “WD” grade on transcripts and if the request is approved during a period where a refund is appropriate (visit the Refund Schedule) this may result in a reduction of charges. Visit the ESC Forms and click on Course Withdrawal Request to request a withdrawal. This will require approval from your academic advisor.  The Registrar’s office will contact your advisor for approval after you have submitted the “Course Withdrawal Request”.

For any course(s) a student ceases to attend after the published deadline, the student will receive an “F” grade on his/ her transcript and there will be no refund. After the deadline to withdraw has passed, a student may no longer receive a “WD” grade except in an extraordinary situation which requires approval of the Dean of the school in which the student is enrolled in. 

Requests for an appeal after a deadline has passed must be accompanied by appropriate documentation about circumstances that prevented the student from add/drop/withdrawing within the required time limits. To submit this request, visit the ESC Forms and click on Retroactive Petition for Changes to Registration and/or Tuition. The Dean and the Registrar will review your circumstances and then grant or deny the request.

NOTE: Non-attendance does not constitute drop or withdrawal. The student will not receive a refund and will receive a grade of “F” for the course(s) in question. An official drop or withdrawal can only be transacted by completing the appropriate forms by the deadline date listed on the Academic Calendar.

See the Tuition and Fees section for information regarding refunds in relation to course withdrawal.

Majors and Minors

Students must formally declare an academic major by the time they have completed 60 credits. Undeclared students who have completed 60 credits shall not allowed to register for any courses at the University. An Academic Hold will be placed on the student’s record, which can only be removed with permission of the appropriate dean and by completing a the Declaration of Major/Minor/Program Change Request.

  • Change of Major - Students wishing to change their major field should complete Declaration of Major/Minor/Program Change Request. This form will be routed to the chairperson of the new department and the appropriate dean. 

  • Double Majors - Students may elect to complete requirements for two separate major areas of study. Permission for a double major must be obtained from the chairperson of the prin­cipal major department and the chairperson of the second major department. To request a second major, you must complete a Declaration of Major/Minor/Program Change Request Form. All courses requisite and cognate for each major must be completed. At least one-half of the required courses, exclusive of cognate courses, must be completed in courses taken at Saint Peter’s.

  • Minors - In addition to their major areas of concentration, students may declare a minor in another academic discipline. To request a minor, students must complete a Declaration of Major/Minor/Program Change Request Form. The University offers a variety of minor programs. See the chart under Degree Programs for the complete listing. Minor programs may be developed within the following guidelines:

    • The completion of a minimum of 18 credits in a specific discipline, at least one half of which should consist of upper division courses. A minimum of one half of the courses for the minor program must be taken at Saint Peter’s University.

    • The courses selected for the minor must be distinct from those required for the core or major. Cognate courses (courses in other disciplines needed to complete major requirements) may be approved as part of the minor program.

    • Normally students may not take a major and a minor in the same department. There are some exceptions to the rule, based on the principle that there are sub­stantial differences in the disciplines offered by some departments. Students may take both a major and a minor in programs offered by the following departments: Applied Science, Computer Science, Business Administration, Fine Arts, and Modern and Classical Languages and Literatures. Art History majors may minor in Music; English majors, in Communication and Media; and Economics majors, in Finance.

    • The GPA for courses in the minor must be 2.0 or greater. Departments may establish GPA requirements higher than 2.0; wherever this is the case, the specific requirements will be stated in the “department section” of the catalog.

Auditing of Courses

Students may register for a course on an audit or a non-credit basis with permission of the appropriate dean. Students may not audit courses in accountancy, studio art, data processing, composition, language studies, or any subject which involves laboratory work, field work, or work of a similar nature. Auditors may not be admitted to closed courses, tutorials or independent studies. Auditors, with approval of the course instructor and permission of the dean, may change their status from audit to credit by the last date for adding courses specified in each term. A grade of “AU” is recorded for courses taken on an audit basis. No other grade is given. 

Students auditing a course must plan and have the course approved by their advisor on student planning. After the advisor approves, the student should email the Dean for permission to audit a course. Once the Dean approves, they will let the Registrar's Office know and the student can be coded as an auditor. Credits earned will be zero and the cost will be reduced to one credit. Student Accounts will update the tuition charges to reflect the cost of one credit.


Traditional Day Student Credit Loads

In order to complete the Bachelor’s degree in four years, students must complete 15 credits per semester of non-developmental courses.  Baccalaureate degree programs at Saint Peter’s University require 120 credits for degree conferral. Students must successfully complete at least 30 credits a year to graduate on time. Visit for more information.

  • First-year students in good academic standing generally take five courses (one of which is the Freshman Semi­nar) during the first semester and five courses during the second semester. A dean’s approval is required for freshmen to take fewer than 15 or more than 17 credits in the fall or spring semester. Freshmen may not take evening courses. Credits taken during the Summer Academy are considered fall semester credits.

  • Sophomores, juniors and seniors in good academic standing may enroll in up to 18 credits in a given term. Flat rate tuition for full-time students covers up to 18 credits. Students wishing to enroll in more than 18 credits, and pay the additional tuition charge, may do so if the following criteria are met for an Overload:

    • They have attained a cumulative grade point average of 3.0.
    • The course they plan to enroll in has been approved by their advisor on Student Planning.
    • They complete the Credit Overload Petition to obtain their advisor’s and the dean's approval after careful assessment of the reasons for the additional credit load and the student’s ability to successfully complete all courses.

Students on Academic Probation or Suspension

See the Academic Standing section for credit load restrictions for students on academic probation or suspension.

Traditional Day Students Enrolling in Evening Undergraduate (SPS) Courses

Traditional day students are expected to complete their degree requirements through courses offered during the day session. However, traditional day students may take courses in the School of Professional Studies, consistent with the University policy on credit loads, provided they fulfill the following conditions:

  • They will have earned 30 or more credits at the time the course commences;
  • They secure the approval of the Dean of the School of Professional Studies using Student Planning;
  • They must not exceed more than 6 credits in an 8 week term in SPS courses (excluding Janmester courses). Exceptions may be granted by the Dean.
  • Students with a GPA below 2.0 are not permitted to enroll in online courses.

Undergraduate Students Enrolling in Graduate Courses

Traditional day and SPS students may enroll in two graduate courses while completing their undergraduate degree, provided they fulfill the following conditions:

  • They have completed at least one term at Saint Peter's;
  • They have attained a GPA of at least 3.0;
  • They have completed at least 60 credits;
  • They must complete the Undergraduate Request to Enroll in Graduate Courses, which will be sent to the Undergraduate Advisor, then Graduate Admissions, the Graduate Program Director (or the appropriate Dean), the Chair,  for approval. After they have been approved, the Registrar’s Office will process the registration;

Traditional day and SPS students that are admitted to an Accelerated Graduate Program may enroll in up to four graduate courses, while completing their undergraduate degree, provided they fulfill the following conditions:

  • They have completed at least one term at Saint Peter's;
  • They have applied and been admitted to a graduate program;
  • They are coded by admissions with an Accelerated Campus Organization;
  • They have attained a GPA of at least 3.0;
  • They have completed at least 60 credits;
  • They must complete the Undergraduate Request to Enroll in Graduate Courses, which will be sent to the Undergraduate Advisor, then Graduate Admissions, the Graduate Program Director (or the appropriate Dean), the Chair,  for approval. After they have been approved, the Registrar’s Office will process the registration;

Undergraduate students are not permitted to register in Winter trimester courses or courses that overlap terms. Credit and GPA Exceptions may be granted by the Dean. If an exception is granted, Financial Aid is not available for Undergraduate Students for the Winter Trimester and this is paid out of pocket. 

Traditional Day Student Policy on Summer Session Course Loads

Traditional day students may take no more than 12 credits in a given summer session and no more than six credits in any particular session, and no more than three credits in any session of three weeks or less.

Traditional Day Student Policy on Courses Taken at Other Institutions

While a student is matriculated at Saint Peter’s University, only under specific circumstances, can up to 18 credits for courses taken at another college, outside of the fall/spring regular academic year schedule, be transferred to Saint Peter’s University to count as part of a student’s graduation requirements. (The academic year restriction does not apply to courses taken through the Washington Internship Program or the Saint Peter’s University Study Abroad Program.) Other credit load limits apply as well, and the last 30 credits of the degree must be completed at Saint Peter’s University. Students also may not matriculate at Saint Peter’s and another institution simultaneously during the same academic year.

The following describes the conditions under which matriculated students may transfer in credit for courses taken at an accredited college outside of the fall/spring regular academic year schedule.

  1. Prior to registering for a course, a student must complete the Undergraduate Request to Take Courses at Another Institution form. The course description from the other college’s catalog or webpage must be uploaded or attached. The following individuals’ signatures are also required on the form: appropriate dean, chairperson of the equivalent Saint Peter’s department, and the chairperson of the student’s major department. Note that these signatures do not constitute waivers for the residency requirement, 18-credit limit requirement, or other credit load limit requirements.
  2. After the course is completed and a final grade of C (2.0) or better awarded, the student must send a transcript to to evaluate and process.
  3. Transfer credits are not computed in the student’s grade point average.

Conditions of Non-Matriculation

Non-matriculated students (students who are not pursuing a degree at Saint Peter’s University) may not take more than 12 hours of credit. If a non-matriculated student wishes to register for additional credits beyond 12 hours, that student must apply for matriculated degree seeking status. Any request to continue as a non-matriculated student beyond 12 credits must be made in writing, with specific reasons cited, to the appropriate dean and Registrar. Once matriculated into a degree program at the University, a student may not take courses as a non-matriculated student until he/she has graduated from the University. After a student has graduated, a student may return to the University as a non-matriculated student, but the credit hour limits apply. No courses taken after graduation as a non-matriculated student may be applied retroactively to any major, minor, or degree program.

Class Attendance

Students are expected to attend all classes, arrive on time and remain for the entire class period, and report to class fully prepared with all required materials. To meet these expectations, students must arrange course schedules that minimize conflict with other commitments, including personal commitments, work, or participation in athletics or other university-sanctioned events. When students encounter difficulty meeting these requirements, they must actively engage their faculty member to discuss the concern. The interaction in the classroom among students and faculty is a vital part of the learning experience. At the first class meeting of the term, the professor must indicate what relationship attendance has to the final grade. The responsibility for any work missed due to absence rests entirely with the student.

  • Absence from Class - An occasional illness or other important personal matter may sometimes make class attendance impossible; however, it is up to the student to notify the instructor within 24 hours, and provide any required documentation within a reasonable amount of time. Whether the absence is excused or not is up to the instructor, and the responsibility for work missed rests entirely with the student. Traditional day students who exceed absences totaling more than two times the number of lecture meetings per week may be given a failing grade if the student continues in the course past the withdrawal date.  Students taking SPS classes in eight-week sessions are permitted one absence per term. An absence is defined as missing one class meeting, or for hybrid and online courses, non-participation for a one-week period.

  • Absence from Laboratory - All missed laboratory sessions must be made up.

  • Extended Absence - Students who must be absent for extended periods (i.e., three or more consecutive classes for traditional day students or two classes for SPS students) must notify the appropriate dean who will inform the faculty as a service to students. Traditional day students must notify the appropriate dean. Students attending evening classes in Jersey City must notify the office of the Director of the School of Professional Studies (SPS). Bergen County Campus students must notify the Director’s office. Upon their return, written documentation from the appropriate source (e.g., hospital, doctor, government agency, etc.), along with the student’s cover letter, must be delivered to the appropriate dean. Students must consult their professors about their status upon their return and should not presume their eligibility to continue courses.

  • Absence Due to Trips on Class Days - Students seeking an excused absence from class due to their participation in a course-related or non-course-related University-sponsored trip must get permission from their instructor(s). Granting the excused absence is at the discretion of the instructor(s). If excused absences are not granted, a student may not be penalized for declining to participate in the course-related trip. If permission is not granted, and a student still decides to participate in the trip, the student is responsible for the consequences that action may have on his/her class attendance record and/or grade. When seeking permission for these excused absences, students should supply instructors with a signed letter from the faculty (or staff) member leading the trip. The letter should indicate the student’s name and describe the purpose of the trip.


Examinations are a partial but significant measure of a student’s academic progress.

  • Class Examinations - Class examinations are periodic examinations within a course, previously announced by the professor, and generally considered a determining factor in the final term grade.
  • Late Examinations - Late examinations are conducted by an instructor for those students who have an excused absence for a missed class examination. It is the student’s responsibility to make arrangements for a late examination with the professor.
  • Final Term Examinations - Final term examinations are scheduled by the Registrar for every traditional day course. Any substitute procedure for a final examination must be authorized by an instructor’s department chairperson and the appropriate dean.  Final exams for SPS courses may be given during the final week of classes and may or may not be given during the final meeting.  Projects, papers or presentations may be assigned for SPS courses in lieu of final examinations, as set forth in the course syllabus.
  • Absence from Final Examinations - The final decision as to whether or not a student has an adequate reason for being absent from a final examination rests completely and exclusively with the professor. If the professor decides the reason is adequate, he/she will arrange for and conduct a late examination. Should the professor decide the student’s reason is not adequate, the student receives a failing grade for the examination.

Grading System and Procedures

Grades at Saint Peter’s University are assigned on a numerical quality point basis, with a D as the minimum passing grade in each undergraduate subject. A student’s final term grade in any course is assigned by the instructor on the basis of performance in all work throughout the entire period of the course, including class participation, recitations, readings, reports, quizzes, major tests, term papers, and final examinations. Final grades for a term cannot be altered later than six weeks after the start of the next term.

Grades should be interpreted as an index of achievement in a course according to the following scale:

Grade Description
A 4.0 Outstanding
A- 3.7 Excellent
B+ 3.3 Very Good
B 3.0 Good
B- 2.7 Above Average
C+ 2.3 Average Satisfactory
C 2.0 Satisfactory
C- 1.7 Less than Satisfactory
D+ 1.3 Poor but passing
D 1.0 Minimum for passing
F 0.0 Failure; Student stopped attending after midterm grading
FA 0.0 Student never attended or stopped attending course prior to midterm grading without formal withdrawal. The grade of FA is calculated into the GPA. *

*Students who stop attending class meetings, or do not meet other stated attendance measures in a web-based course, will be given a Final Grade of FA: Failure Due to Non-Attendance. The student's Last Date of Attendance in the course will be used in determining if Federal Financial Aid must be returned. It is in the student's best interest to contact their Dean's Office if they cannot complete their courses. A grade of FA in an eligible course impacts the students Term and Cumulative GPA. 

Other symbols used in the official recording of grades include:

Symbol Subject
AU Course audited; no credit
IC Incomplete in course requirements
IP In Progress; course runs beyond the normal end of term
IT Incomplete because of late submission of grade by instructor
P Pass without a specific grade being given
TR Credits Transferred
WD Formal withdrawal from a course


Students will receive a failing grade for a course whenever they have a final term grade below D, fail to complete the necessary course work in order to remove the grade of In­complete (IC) from their record, or fail a course due to excessive absence.

Incomplete Grades

If students believe that they have a legitimate reason for requesting time beyond the final examination to complete course work, they may request a grade of Incomplete (IC) from the instructor. If granted, students will have until the deadlines below (semester, quad and trimester) to complete the course work:

  • Fall incomplete grades must be changed by March 1st
  • Winter incomplete grades must be changed by April 15th
  • Spring and Summer incomplete grades must be changed by October 15th

If the instructor has not submitted a Change of Grade Form grade, the Registrar's Office will change the grade of IC to an F.

In Progress Grades

For courses that run beyond the normal end of term, grades of In Progress (IP) may be assigned. Courses assigned an IP grade must have the course work completed by the end of the following term. If the course work is not completed, IP grades will be changed to an IC grade by the Registrar's Office on the dates below:

  • Fall incomplete grades must be changed by March 1st
  • Winter incomplete grades must be changed by April 15th
  • Spring and Summer incomplete grades must be changed by October 15th

Change of Grade

A change of grade can only be initiated by the instructor of a course who must submit an Change of Grade Request Form detailing the reason for the extension to the school dean for approval. Such changes are made in extenuating circumstances only.

Resolution of Grade Disputes

Students have the right to know the components of a course on which their final grade will be based, to be graded fairly, and to understand why they were given a particular grade. The instructor has the right to determine which course components will be graded and the weight that will be given to each, the right to determine the grading scale to be employed, and the responsibility to grade students consistently on that scale. The instructor is also expected to provide a syllabus for each course, specifying the assignments and examinations, and the weight given to each course component in determining the final grade. Finally, graded material should be returned to the student within a reasonable period of time; any material not returned must be retained by the instructor for one year.

Should students believe, in light of the above, that they have been graded unfairly, then the first step is to make an appointment with the instructor, bring copies of any papers and/or exams in question, and request that the instructor review the grade. This may be done until the sixth week of the term after the term in which the grade was issued. After that point, the grade becomes final.

If, after discussing the grade with the instructor, the student still believes that he/she was treated unfairly, then the next step is to seek the assistance of the chairperson of the department in which the course is offered to resolve the issue. Should the department chairperson be the instructor in question, then the appropriate dean is to appoint a member of that department to serve as mediator in the dispute.

If the above steps do not lead to resolution of the issue, the student may meet with the appropriate dean to discuss the issue further.

When the assistance of the chair or the appropriate dean is called upon, that office will act as a mediator and will be authorized to collect all materials (e.g. exams, papers, quizzes and any other evaluative materials), whether in the hands of the instructor or the student, relevant to the construction of the grade. The instructor must be prepared to show that the grade was constructed according to the criteria described in the syllabus.

Pass/Fail Option

Students in good academic standing are allowed to register for one course per term on a Pass/Fail basis. There is a limit of three Pass/Fail courses in any Bachelor’s or Associate’s degree program. Completion of a course under this option results in either a P or F grade. Courses not available for this option are those in the major department, cognate courses required by the major, or courses given through the Honors Program. Students may not take courses needed to satisfy matriculation requirements on a Pass/Fail basis. The Pass/Fail option is not available for basic courses in writing, composition, reading, or for any developmental courses. Permission to take any course under the Pass/Fail op­tion must be approved by the student’s advisor and the appropriate dean. A traditional day student who has completed at least one semester of courses at Saint Peter’s University or an SPS student who has earned at least six credits may register for one course each summer (including Intersession and the Janmester term) on a Pass/Fail basis. Students on academic probation are not permitted to enroll in the pass/fail grading options during their probationary period. 

Credit will be granted for a passing grade, but since there is no numerical equivalent, the grade is not included in the GPA. A failing grade will be recorded as F and will be computed in the student’s cumulative average.

Students must complete the PASS/FAIL Request form on the ESC FORMS page by the date noted in the Academic Calendar. Once students have filed for the Pass/Fail option and it has been recorded, they may not cancel the option.

Cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA)

The grade point average is computed in the following manner:

  1. Multiplying the grade in each course taken at Saint Peter’s University by the number of credits assigned to the course;
  2. Adding these products and dividing the total by the total number of credits attempted in all courses taken at Saint Peter’s University.

Pass grades, credit by examination grades, and transfer grades are not utilized in computing the cumulative grade point average.

Repeating a Course for a Higher Grade

Students may repeat any course for which they received a grade below a C, including grades of F or FA. All courses and grades remain on the transcript. Only the most recent grade will be included in the cumulative GPA and will apply towards degree completion. This option is open only to students who have not completed their degree requirements for Saint Peter’s University. Tutorials and independent studies are not an option for repetition of a course and grade replacement. Students should consult financial aid to determine if the repeated course will be covered by federal financial aid.

Academic Transcripts

A transcript is an official record of courses taken, credits earned, and grades received.  The Registrar's Office offers several options for former and current students to order and receive transcripts.  In partnership with SCRIP-SAFE®, Saint Peter's is able to provide official transcripts delivered electronically through the SCRIP-SAFE server network.  The cost of the transcript varies by the type of delivery service requested and is detailed on the ordering site.  Online orders for same-day service must be received by 4:00 pm Monday through Friday to be processed the same day. No service is available on weekends or official University holidays as indicated on the Academic Calendar.

Unofficial transcripts are no longer provided by the Registrar's Office.  Students with Self-Service access may view their unofficial transcripts online; students who do not have access to Self-Service must request an official transcript.

No transcripts or certifications will be released to students who have unpaid financial obligations to the University. Once a student graduates, the transcript is considered “sealed” for that particular degree and changes cannot be made.

Students with Disabilities

Saint Peter’s University is committed to providing students with disabilities educational opportunities free from discrimination.  Eligible students will be afforded appropriate academic accommodations and/or housing accommodations on a case-by-case basis.  Student, for the purpose of this policy, includes prospective students, full and part time undergraduate students, full and part time graduate students and doctoral candidates. 

Academic Accommodations

Self-Disclosure:  Saint Peter’s University is not responsible for identifying students with disabilities.  In order to receive academic accommodations, students must self-identify and apply for academic accommodations as set forth in this policy.  Students with disabilities seeking academic accommodations must self-identify to the University Disability Services Coordinator & Dean of Academic Engagement and Student Success. A student seeking academic accommodation must disclose information about the student’s impairment in support of the request and so that a meeting and discussion regarding appropriate accommodations may occur.  

Application and Documentation:  Students seeking academic accommodations must fill out an Accommodation Request Form.  Copies of the Accommodation Request Form are available in the Center for Academic Success and Engagement which is located in the lower level of McDermott Hall or may be obtained online from the Students with Disability website.  

Saint Peter’s University recommends that the Accommodation Request Form be submitted at least three weeks prior to the start of the term.  Students whose applications for academic accommodations are submitted after the start of the term will be processed as soon as possible. 

In addition to the student’s self-reporting of a disability, the student’s health care provider or other qualified professional must submit a certification in support of the student’s application.  Students may also submit additional supporting documentation to support their requests, such as IEPs, Section 504 plans, or prior evaluations for consideration.  Saint Peter’s University recommends that the supporting documentation be no more than six years old.

Confidentiality: To the extent permitted by law, any information about students’ disabilities or academic accommodations is kept confidential.   If release of student records is not required by law, students may elect to file a FERPA Waiver Request with Enrollment Services Center.  

Saint Peter’s University will not release student information about students’ disabilities to their professors, but may communicate with professors to confirm certain information relating to the approved accommodation (i.e. exam date/time) as set forth in this policy. 

Approval Process:  Academic accommodations must be approved by the University Disability Services Coordinator & Dean of Academic Engagement and Student Success. Students may deliver a completed Accommodation Request Form copies in person or by mail to the Center for Academic Success and Engagement to the University Disability Services Coordinator & Dean of Academic Engagement and Student Success, 2641 John F Kennedy Blvd, Jersey City, New Jersey, 07306. 

Matriculated students may also submit applications or supporting documentation by email to Students electing to submit applications through email must use their Saint Peter’s University email address. 

Following the student’s submission of the application and supporting documentation, a meeting between the student and the University Disability Services Coordinator & Dean of Academic Engagement and Student Success will be scheduled.  The purpose of this meeting is to review the documentation submitted and discuss potential academic accommodations.  To the extent practicable, these meetings will occur within the first two weeks of the term.

Accommodations will be assessed on a case-by-case basis depending on the student’s individual needs, course selection, documentation, and any other information presented during the application process.  Accommodations may include, but are not limited to, extended time to take examinations, alternative testing locations, alternative instructions (i.e. read aloud, different instructions), use of calculator, post-test reviews, and copies of materials or enlarged materials. 

All academic accommodations must be approved by the University Disability Services Coordinator & Dean of Academic Engagement and Student Success. If the student is approved for academic accommodations, the student will be provided a Letter of Accommodation by the University Disability Services Coordinator & Dean of Academic Engagement and Student Success addressed to each professor for every class that the student is enrolled in and is approved for accommodations in. 

Communication with Professors:  The Center for Academic Success and Engagement and the University Disability Services Coordinator & Dean of Academic Engagement and Student Success will not forward copies of Letter(s) of Accommodations to approved students’ professors. 

Students who receive Letter(s) of Accommodations must provide a copy of those letters to their professors in order to receive the approved accommodations.  Saint Peter’s University recommends that students meet with their professors during office hours or during any other scheduled time to discuss the Letter of Accommodation. 

Examinations:  Students approved to take examinations in an alternative location must submit notice to the Center for Academic Success and Engagement as soon as possible of the examination’s date and time, but at least 10 business days in advance of the scheduled examination.  The Center for Academic Success and Engagement will contact the student’s professor to confirm the date of the exam and to obtain testing documentation and resources. 

Whenever possible, students will be notified by a staff member in the Center of Academic Success and Engagement regarding the location and time of the examination at least 48 hours in advance of the examination.  

Renewals of Accommodations: Matriculated students must complete the Academic Accommodation Renewal Request and submit the form to the Center for Academic Success and Engagement.  Saint Peter’s University recommends that this application at least three weeks in advance of the start of the term. Supporting documentation must be presented with Academic Accommodation Renewal Request applications at least once a year.  For example, if a student requests academic accommodations for the fall term, and provides documentation in support of that application, the student may, but is not required to submit additional supporting documentation for the spring and/or summer terms. 

Changes of Accommodations:  Students are urged to contact the Center for Academic Success and Engagement at any point during the term to discuss changes to approve accommodations or to request alternative accommodations.   Changes to previously approved academic accommodations may require submission of additional supporting documentation.      

Academic Accommodation Grievance Process     

Denials:  Denials of academic accommodations must undergo an informal appeal process with the University Disability Services Coordinator & Dean of Academic Engagement and Student Success. Students will meet with the University Disability Services Coordinator & Dean of Academic Engagement and Student Success to discuss the accommodation denial.  During this meeting the student may present additional supporting documentation to support the requested accommodation.   Students will be notified of the outcome of the meeting within 10 business days of the meeting.

If the meeting with the University Disability Services Coordinator & Dean of Academic Engagement and Student Success does not resolve the dispute, a formal written Academic Accommodation Appeal may be filed with the Associate Vice President for Academic Affairs.  Reasons for appeal may include, but are not limited to, failure to provide any accommodations based on the initial documentation, concerns that the accommodations are unaligned with the student’s specific course load selected or changes to the courses selected or how access is impaired or lacking with your current accommodations. This must be submitted within 10 business days of the University Disability Services Coordinator & Dean of Academic Engagement and Student Success decision.  Students must include their contact information, identification number, a summary of the dispute and requested outcome.  The decision of the Associate Vice President for Academic Affairs is final.

Lack of Implementation:  Students who provide their professor(s) with their Letter(s) of Accommodations and whose professor(s) fail to implement the approved accommodations should schedule a meeting with the University Disability Services Coordinator & Dean of Academic Engagement and Student Success as soon as possible after the accommodations is not implemented. University Disability Services Coordinator & Dean of Academic Engagement and Student Success will contact the professor(s) to reinforce that accommodations have been approved and must be implemented.

If the meeting with the University Disability Services Coordinator & Dean of Academic Engagement and Student Success does not resolve the dispute, a formal written Academic Accommodation Appeal may be filed with the Associate Vice President for Academic Affairs.  This must be submitted within 10 business days of the meeting held with the University Disability Services Coordinator & Dean of Academic Engagement and Student Success decision.  Students must include their contact information, identification number, a summary of the dispute and requested outcome.   The decision of the Associate Vice President for Academic Affairs is final.

Communication to Students/Change of Address

It is each student’s responsibility to inform the University of any changes in directory information. You can update your address and contact information on Self-Service. A student’s lack of receipt of important notifications due to the student’s failure to provide a correct, current address is not an acceptable reason for non-receipt of important notifications. Ensuring that a correct address is on file is entirely a student’s responsibility.

Official Email Communication to Students

The official, sanctioned method of email communication with students is through each student’s account provided by the University. Students are expected to check their University email accounts regularly. A student’s lack of receipt of important notifications, due to the student’s failure to use the email account provided by the University, is not an acceptable reason for non-receipt of important notifications.

Change of Name

Students who wish to change their name on University records must complete an Official Name Change Request. Two forms of legal documentation must be submitted, e.g. a marriage certificate, divorce decree, court order indicating the change of name, SSN card or drivers license indicating the updated name. To update your email address, please contact the service desk.

Academic Standing

The academic records of traditional day students are reviewed by the appropriate dean and the Com­mittee on Academic Standing each semester. The records of students in SPS are reviewed by the appropriate dean two times per year. As a result of this review, stu­dents will be placed, at the end of the spring term, in one of the following categories:

  • Good Standing - First-year Saint Peter’s students with a cumulative GPA at or above 1.8, and all other students at or above 2.0, are considered to be in good academic standing.

  • Academic Probation - First-year students who fall below a GPA of 1.8 will be limited to a maximum course load of 12 credits in the following semester. For all other students with a GPA below 2.0, a maximum course load of 15 credits will apply. Pass/fail grading options are not permitted during this probationary period. Additionally, students on academic probation are required to participate in the Academic Recovery Program. Traditional day undergraduate students must schedule a mandatory meeting with the Center for Academic Success and Engagement (CASE), while online students are required to meet with the Dean of Graduate and Professional Education. Moreover, students on academic probation may face restrictions on their participation in co-curricular activities. These measures are intended to facilitate academic improvement and ensure that students are well-equipped to meet their educational goals.

  • Academic Suspension - Students will be placed on Academic Suspension from their studies at the University by the appropriate dean at the end of the spring term if their cumulative GPA falls below the institutional requirements outlined below.

Attempted Credits 24-47 48-71 72-95 95+
Minimum cumulative GPA needed 1.5 1.8 1.9 2.0

Academic Suspension is an enforced termination of formal studies and normally will be granted only once to a student. Students on academic suspension, with the advice and permission of the appropriate dean, may be enrolled for a limited num­ber of courses at another college during the period of their suspension. Successful completion of up to 12 college-level credits indicating a composite GPA at or above the minimum needed will be considered as a positive factor in reviewing a suspended student’s application for reinstatement.

For further discussion of the details and implications of Academic Suspension on financial aid, see the section on Student Financial Aid.

Financial Aid Suspension

It is possible for a student to be in good academic standing but be placed on Financial Aid Suspension if the student’s completion rate does not meet the federal guidelines. See the Financial Aid section for more information.

Academic Dismissal

If a student, after readmission from Academic Suspension, again be­comes academically deficient, the student will be dismissed. Academic Dismissal is final and precludes the possibility of readmission to the University. The transcript will note that a student has been placed on Academic Probation, Academic Suspension, or Academic Dismissal.

Readmission from Academic Suspension

Students on Academic Suspension may apply for readmission by writing a letter to the appropriate dean explaining the reasons for seeking readmission and describing the manner in which the period of suspension has been spent. Traditional day students should address this request for readmission to the Dean of Upperclassmen who will present it to the Committee on Academic Standing. Students who wish to be readmitted to the SPS should write to the appropriate dean who will arrange for an interview to discuss the request for readmission and plans for future study. Applications for readmission should be submitted at least one month before the start of the term for which enrollment is requested.

Students who attended as traditional day students but are requesting readmission to SPS status (or vice-versa) should complete the Request to Change Status form which may be obtained from the appropriate dean of the school into which admission is requested.

Leave of Absence and Separation from the University

Students in good academic standing sometimes find that they must interrupt college studies because of a family situation, a career change, or other personal reason. Students should discuss the situation with the appropriate dean who may suggest a leave of absence. In cases where a leave of absence is not possible, stu­dents should then observe procedures for voluntary withdrawal from the University.

Students who are obliged to discontinue their studies for more than one term must complete the Leave of Absence/Separation FormBefore completing this request, please be advised that as a result of withdrawing if your status drops below full time, your Financial Aid may be recalculated and you are responsible for tuition charges. You can consult financial aid to determine if your financial aid award will change as a result of this withdrawal. You can email for questions regarding your account. In compliance with federal financial aid regulations, the date that this request is submitted will be the date used to process the separation from the university.  

Students who stop attending the University during a term and do not comply with the procedures to Separate will receive failing grades in all courses for which they registered and will not be readmitted to the University without the permis­sion of the appropriate dean.

Medical Leave of Absence Policy

Purpose: Saint Peter’s University expects students to maintain continuous registration throughout their academic program.  It is sometimes necessary for a student to take a leave from enrollment for a period of time.  The policies and procedures described below establish a process for the medical leave of absence (medical withdrawal) of undergraduate or graduate student.  The procedures herein provide guidance for the basis for a medical leave of absence, process for requesting a medical leave of absence, responsibilities of the student, and appeals process.   

Basis for Medical Leave of Absence: Saint Peter’s University students who experience extraordinary cases in which serious illness, injury, psychological crises, or other significant medical related trauma that substantially impairs their ability to function successfully or safely as a student may be eligible for a medical leave of absence.  It is expected that time away from the University will be used for treatment and recovery.

  • Absence(s) from class due to an illness or medically related issue(s) is not a medical leave of absence and does not reduce financial obligations or guarantee that final grades will not be recorded.  Withdrawing from some or all classes for the semester does not constitute a medical leave of absence.  A medical leave of absence determination will be based on an evaluation by the appropriate College/School Dean in conjunction with the Dean of Students. A medical leave of absence is for a partial or complete withdrawal.   All applications for partial or complete withdrawal require thorough and credible documentation from qualified medical professionals.  Hand written doctor notes, prescription tabs, or other informal documentation will not be accepted.
  • A medical leave of absence request may be made at any time during the semester, but must be completed no later than the last day of classes in a semester.  Requests not completed by the last day of classes (retroactive requests) will be considered late requests and will be considered for the following semester barring exceptional circumstances. Students who are absent for one or more semesters before officially taking a medical leave of absence jeopardize their privilege to return without reapplication to the University.
  • Approval of a leave of absence request does not guarantee that a student will remain able to complete degree requirements withing the timeframe associated with their accepted catalog year or as required by the academic college. Individual colleges may have additional stipulations. Students should review the appropriate school or college website and/or inquire with academic advising staff regarding the potential change in degree complete from a medical leave of absence. 
  • A medical leave of absence is not intended to be a way of shielding a student from unsatisfactory progress or any other academic concern.  A medical withdrawal will not be used when disciplinary or other academic responses are appropriate and the student's circumstances should be addressed through those responses.
  • A student on a medical leave of absence is not permitted to reside in Saint Peter’s University owned or affiliated housing, attend classes, conduct research, maintain employment, participate in Student Life or other campus events, or utilize Saint Peter’s University facilities.

Student Responsibilities

Student have several responsibilities in the medical leave of absence process:

  1. Students are responsible for completing a written Request for Medical Leave of Absence Form along with appropriate documentation as outlined below in the ‘Medical Leave of Absence Student Request Procedures’ section.
  2. Students are responsible for their financial obligations and loan repayments.  This policy does not have any effect on the exemption of students from student loan repayments or other financial obligations.  Before taking a medical leave of absence, a student should contact their lender regarding repayment obligations that may arise as a result of their medical leave. A student should also consult with a Financial Aid officer to discuss any impact the leave may have on financial aid and their tuition bill.
  3. Students who are participating in an Intercollegiate Athletics program should contact Intercollegiate Athletics to discuss the implications for eligibility and other concerns related to a medical leave of absence.  
  4. International students with an F1/J1 visa should contact the Director of the Center for Global Leaning to discuss the implications and impact on an immigration visa that may result from your medical withdrawal from the University.

Medical Leave of Absence Request Student Procedures

Requests for medical leave of absence must be submitted by undergraduate or graduate degree candidates to the appropriate school or college dean. To request a medical leave of absence, you must submit a Request for Medical Leave of Absence Form along with appropriate documentation. Appropriate documentation for a medical leave of absence withdrawal consists of a letter from your attending health care provider on letterhead that specifies the following: 

  • the date of onset of illness,
  • the dates you were under professional care,
  • the general nature of your medical condition and why/how it prevented you from completing course work,
  • the date of your anticipated return to school, and
  • the last date you were able to attend class.

Additional documentation may be requested should it be determined by the appropriate school dean, or the Dean of Students.  The letter must be typed on the health care provider's letterhead stationery and submitted in a sealed envelope.

Medical Leave of Absence Effective Dates - A medical withdrawal, if approved, is effective on the day a signed and fully completed request is received in the appropriate school dean's office.  

Tuition, Fees, and Refund Schedule - Approval of a medical withdrawal does not exempt students from their financial obligations. Tuition is adjusted in accordance with the University’s refund schedule, which is published by the Office of Student Accounts and is available at  Fees are non-refundable after the last day of add/drop.

Parental Notification - The University reserves the right to notify a parent or guardian if deemed appropriate under the circumstances and applicable laws, including making arrangements for the family member to pick up the student from the University’s premises.

Privacy of Information Regarding Medical Leave - The University will maintain the privacy of information regarding voluntary and involuntary leaves in accordance with federal, state, and local law, and to the greatest extent consistent with the goal of processing such leaves.

Process for Appeal of Decision - Students may be eligible to appeal a determination of ineligibility for a medical leave of absence after a decision has been made in writing by the appropriate dean.  Students who fail to complete the requirements or deadlines will be ineligible for an appeal.  A student may request an appeal to the Executive Vice President of Academic Affairs/Provost or designee within five business days of the receipt of the decision.  The Executive Vice President of Academic Affairs/Provost or designee will review of the decision.  Appeals submitted after five business days will not be considered however; the Vice President of Academic Affairs/Provost or designee may accept late supporting documentation (medical records, documentation from qualified medical professionals, etc.).  Such request should be made in writing at the time of the appeal.  

The appeal should include detailed support for the request to modify the original decision.  The Executive Vice President of Academic Affairs/Provost or designee will review the student's appeal and may affirm, overturn or modify the decision within ten working days from the date of receipt of request for review or an agreed extended time.  The Executive Vice President of Academic Affairs/Provost or designee can meet with the student if needed or can consult with anyone that he or she determines is reasonable in order to review the appeal. The decision will be communicated to the student in writing and shall be considered final.

Return Procedure

Traditional day students who have been away from the University may resume studies by conferring with the Center for Academic Success and Student Engagement who will oversee the procedures for updating their status. SPS students who have been away for two terms must see the director who will assist them with procedures for readmission to the University.

The Student-University Contract: Principles of Student Conduct

Statement of Purpose

As a Catholic and Jesuit University, Saint Peter’s stands for the human dignity and worth of every person, and is dedicated to pursuing truth, discovering and trans­mitting knowledge, promoting a life of faith, and developing leadership expressed in service to others. The University's educational mission reflects a commitment to intellectual rigor, social justice, and an active engagement of contemporary issues. Saint Peter's believes, therefore, in values that foster the human respect needed for people to live, work, study and recreate together as a community. Living these values requires each of us to make an effort towards building a campus community that will be known for love of truth, active care, concern for the common good, and selfless sacrifice towards others.

The Division of Student Affairs implements the University’s mission by sponsoring programs, services and activities that encourage students to develop academically, spiritually, socially, physically, and personally. In partnership with students, faculty, and staff, the offices that comprise the Division of Student Affairs help to create an educational climate consistent with principles rooted in its Jesuit, Catholic tradition. Saint Peter’s University takes seriously its academic mission of fostering the creative intellectual potential of each of its students. In order to maintain an atmosphere that nurtures this potential, Saint Peter’s University has established rules of conduct consistent with this goal and with the University’s philosophy as a Catholic institution. By accepting admission to the University, students are expected to abide by the general conditions for community living and the Code of Conduct. Working together as a community, students, faculty, and staff help foster a campus atmosphere that furthers the mission of the University. Students are expected to enhance the University Community Standards. This expectation calls for behavior that demon­strates the five principles of student conduct: respect for oneself, respect for others, respect for property, respect for authority, and honesty.

Student Code of Conduct

The Student Code of Conduct can be found in the Student Handbook, which is available in the Office of the Dean of Students and on the University website. The Handbook also includes additional information on topics such as emergency administrative action, judicial procedures and hearings, and judicial sanctions.

Standards of Classroom Behavior

The primary responsibility for managing the classroom environment rests with the faculty. Students who engage in any prohibited or unlawful acts that result in disrup­tion of a class may be directed by the instructor to leave the class for the remainder of the class period. Longer suspensions from a class or dismissal on disciplinary grounds must be preceded by the instructor filing a formal Complaint Against a Student form with the Dean of Students, who will then convene a judicial hearing, as set forth in the Student Handbook.

The term “prohibited or unlawful acts” includes behavior prohibited by the instructor including, but not limited to:

  1. The use of cell phones.
  2. Leaving to answer cell phones.
  3. Eating or drinking in the classroom.
  4. Speaking without being recognized or called on.
  5. Refusing to be seated
  6. Disrupting the class by leaving and entering the room without authorization.

It must be emphasized that these standards are not designed to be used as a means to punish classroom dissent. The expression of disagreement with the instructor or classmates in a civil manner is not in itself disruptive behavior.

Academic Dishonesty

The University, as a matter of policy, does not condone or tolerate academic dishonesty, such as cheating or plagia­rism. Students who cheat or submit plagiarized work are liable to receive a failing grade for the assignment and/or the course at the discretion of the instructor. In more serious cases, the student who cheats or plagiarizes is liable to be suspended or dismissed from the University by the appropriate dean. Instructors submit Academic Dishonesty Reports to the appropriate dean and these reports are included in students’ permanent files.

Cheating is a serious form of dishonesty. It may be defined as the giving or accept­ing of unauthorized assistance with any assignment (including, but not restricted to, examinations and papers). The most common examples would be: copying an answer on an examination; knowingly allowing your answer to be copied (except when collaboration is authorized by the instructor); bringing unauthorized aids to an examination room for your own or someone else’s benefit, and providing test questions in advance (or receiving them from anyone other than the instructor in the course).

Plagiarism is another serious form of dishonesty. It may be defined as stealing or purchasing the ideas and writings of another and using them as one’s own. The most common form of plagiarism is the incorporation of whole sentences and paragraphs from published material into papers submitted as one’s own work or purchasing term papers and/or related materials and submitting them as one’s own work. The forms of plagiarism are many and varied, and it is not the intent of this policy statement, therefore, to give a complete catalog. Plagiarism is rarely the result of confusion or misunderstanding. If one conscientiously acknowledges the sources of one’s ideas and citations, plagiarism is effectively avoided. In cases of doubt, students should consult their instructors.

Computer Usage and Piracy

Information on computer usage and piracy can be found in the Student Handbook, which is available in the Office of the Dean of Students and on the University website.

Grievance Procedures

Saint Peter’s University, through its Faculty Senate, has codified and established proce­dures for resolving student grievances that are not resolvable through normal depart­mental and/or divisional channels. (Such grievances DO NOT include violations of the Student Code of Conduct, which are adjudicated by the Dean of Students through student judicial hearings.) These procedures are too lengthy to be enumerated here. For further information, contact the offices of the appropriate dean, Student Life and Development, or Human Resources.

Disclosure of Information

Disclosure of information is required by various laws and regulations, including the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), the Equity in Athletics Disclosure Act, the Drug-Free School and Communities Act, and the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act.

In accordance with these laws and regulations, Saint Peter’s University makes available to prospective students, current students, and employees the following informa­tion: the Annual Campus Security Report; drug and alcohol prevention information; athletic program participation rates and financial support; information regarding all federal, state, local, private, and institutional financial assistance available to stu­dents; institutional information regarding costs, refunds, withdrawal requirements, and requirements for return of Title IV funds; information regarding accreditations held, disability services, employees available for assistance, and study abroad program information; graduation and transfer rates; and student rights under the Fam­ily Education Rights and Privacy Act. Instructions regarding how to obtain all of this information can be found on the University's website.

Immunization Requirements

Measles, Mumps, and Rubella Regulations and Requirement. New Jersey State Law (N.J.A.C. 8:57:6.1.13) requires all college entrants to submit documented proof of immunization against Measles, Mumps and Rubella prior to registration. The requirements are as follows.

  • Two doses of a live Measles or Measles containing vaccine
  • One dose each of a Mumps and Rubella vaccine


  • Two doses of the combination vaccine Measles, Mumps, Rubella (MMR)


  • Blood test (titer) to verify immunity to Measles, Mumps and Rubella

The first dose of the vaccine must be no sooner than four days prior to the first birthday, and the second dose no less than one month later. If no childhood record is available, a student must then be vaccinated. The first and second dose are given one month apart.

Hepatitis B Regulations and Requirements.  New Jersey State Law (N.J.A.C.8:57:6.9) requires all full-time college entrants to submit documented proof of immunization against Hepatitis B.  The requirements are as follows.

  • Three doses of a Hepatitis B containing vaccine, or alternately any two doses of a Hepatitis B vaccine licensed and approved for a two dose regimen administered to the student between 11 through 15 years of age.


  •  Blood test (titer) to verify immunity to Hepatitis B. Lab results are required.

Meningitis Regulations and Requirements.  New Jersey State Law A1546 requires all college entrants who reside in a campus residence facilities must receive a Meningococcal vaccine as a condition of attendance.

Immunization Exemption

According to the laws of New Jersey, a student may receive an exemption for Measles, Mumps, and Rubella ONLY if he/she satisfies any of the following criteria.

  1. Age - A student must have been born on or before January 1, 1957. A photocopy of the student’s birth certificate, driver’s license, or passport is required.
  2. Religious – A student must provide a written statement explaining how these immunizations conflict with the student’s bona fide religious tenets or practices. Philosophical or moral objections are not sufficient.
  3. Medical – A student must provide a physician’s written statement explaining the exemption and including a diagnosis.


The State of New Jersey requires all full-time students to carry accident and sickness insurance. Full-time students are automatically enrolled in the University’s Group Student Accident and Sickness (Health) Insurance Program. The Accident In­surance policy, which is mandatory, covers students, on or off campus, 24/7 for the entire year, including vacation periods. Full-time students are required to maintain a Sickness (Health) Insurance plan or present evidence that they are covered under another plan. Brochures are mailed directly to all full-time students’ homes during the summer months, and are also available in the offices of Student Affairs and Health Services. Claim forms may be picked up at the Health Services Office (Saint Peter Hall) or downloaded from the Health Services webpage.

Notification of Rights Under FERPA for All Students

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) affords students certain rights with respect to their education records. These rights include:

1.) The right to inspect and review the student's education records within 45 days of the day the University receives a request for access. A student should submit a written request that identifies the record(s) the student wishes to inspect to the University Registrar. The Registrar will make arrangements for access and notify the student of the time and place where the records may be inspected. If the records are not maintained by the Registrar, s/he shall advise the student of the correct official to whom the request should be addressed.

2.) The right to request the amendment of the student’s education records that the student believes to be inaccurate, misleading, or otherwise in violation of the student’s privacy rights under FERPA. A student who wishes to ask the University to amend a record should write the University official responsible for the record, clearly identify the part of the record the student wants changed, and specify why it should be changed. If the University decides not to amend the record as requested, the University will notify the student in writing of the decision and the student’s right to a hearing regarding the request for amendment. Additional information regarding the hearing procedures will be provided to the student when notified of the right to a hearing.

3.) The right to provide written consent before the University discloses personally identifiable information from the student's education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent. The University discloses education records without a student’s prior written consent under the FERPA exception for disclosure to school officials with legitimate educational interests. A school official is a person employed by the University in an administrative, supervisory, academic or research, or support staff position (including law enforcement unit personnel and health staff); a person or company with whom the University has contracted as its agent to provide a service instead of using  University employees or officials (such as an attorney, auditor, or collection agent); a person serving on the Board of Trustees; or a student serving on an official committee, such as a disciplinary or grievance committee, or assisting another school official in performing his or her tasks. A school official has a legitimate educational interest if the official needs to review an education record in order to fulfill his or her professional responsibilities for the University.

4.) The right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by the University to comply with the requirements of FERPA. The name and address of the office that administers FERPA is:

Family Policy Compliance Office

U.S. Department of Education

400 Maryland Avenue, SW Washington, DC 202025901

FERPA Waiver - Students who wish to authorize release of their academic information to parents, guardians, spouses or any other individual may do so by submitting a FERPA Waiver Request to the Enrollment Services Center. Once recorded, the student will be able to issue authorization on Self-Service. By signing a FERPA Waiver Request, the student is waiving his/her rights under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act and is asking that grades, grade point averages, course schedules, or academic standing be released to the named person(s) indicated on the Waiver. The requested information will be released to the named person(s) via Self-Service, once the system has been updated; in person with photo identification; or by mail when the named person makes a written request for the information. **

**Please note that absolutely no Non-Directory Information relating to academic status (e.g., grades and/or grade point average) will be released by telephone or email whether or not a Waiver is submitted. Also, the submission of a Waiver does not include the release of any student passwords.

Financial Aid - FERPA provides an exception regarding the release of education records information without the consent of the student when the release is related to financial aid. The disclosure is permitted if the information is necessary to determine eligibility for the aid; determine the amount of aid; determine the conditions for the aid; and/or enforce the terms and conditions of the aid.

Release of Information Via Telephone - Although FERPA does not preclude an institution from disclosing Non-Directory Information via telephone to the student or a FERPA Waiver contact, it is the University’s policy that no Non-Directory Information relating to academic status (e.g., grades and/or grade point average) will be released by telephone, whether or not a Waiver is submitted. Billing information, including tuition and fee charges, outstanding balances, and financial aid information, will be communicated via telephone providing the student or Waiver contact can correctly answer personally identifiable questions that only the student or Waiver contact would be able to answer. These questions may include, but are not limited to, Saint Peter’s Student Identification Number (Self-Service Number), permanent address on file, high school or previous institutions attended, and currently enrolled courses.

Statement Regarding Dependent Students - Institutions are not required to disclose information from the student’s education records to a parent of a dependent student. Saint Peter’s University does not accept proof of dependency status in lieu of a FERPA Waiver Request.

School Officials - School officials with a legitimate educational interest may access student education records with the scope of performing their job duties. A school official is deemed to have legitimate educational interest if the information requested is necessary for that official to:

(a) perform appropriate tasks that are specified in his/her position description of by contact agreement; (b) perform a task related to a student’s education; (c) perform a task related to the discipline of a student; (d) provide a service of benefit relating to the student or student’s family.

Disclosure to a school official having a legitimate educational interest does not constitute authorization to share that information with a third party without written consent.

Statement Regarding Transfer of Education Records - Saint Peter’s University does not release education records to any external third-party without a signed request.

Campus Security/Police Records and Disciplinary Records - In order to remain exempt from FERPA, law enforcement and disciplinary records are therefore created by the University’s law enforcement unit and/or Dean of Student’s Office, for law enforcement or disciplinary purposes, and are maintained separately from education records.

Retention of Academic Documents - Saint Peter’s University does not re-release official copies of documents submitted for admission, scholarship application, or any other academic reason. This includes, but is not limited to, high school and non-Saint Peter’s University transcripts. A student may request copies of materials in the academic file; the copies provided will bear a “FILE COPY” watermark. The student’s signature is required to release copies of any documents from the academic file. Saint Peter’s University follows the American Associate of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officer’s (AACRAO) guidelines for retention and disposal of student records: materials in academic files are destroyed following five years of non-attendance for any reason. The complete policy is available in the Enrollment Services Center.

Release of Information Under Special Circumstances - Records may be released to parents without a signed FERPA Waiver Request under certain exceptions. These include health or safety emergency; or where the student has been found in violation of the University’s code of conduct relating to the use of alcohol and/or another controlled substance if the student is under the age of 21.

Student’s Right to Non-Disclosure of Directory Information - FERPA requires Institutions to give public notice to students in attendance of the categories of personally identifiable information which the institution has designated as Directory Information. Institutions may disclose Directory Information about former students without meeting the notification requirement; however, if a student has requested, at his or her last opportunity as a student, that Directory Information not be disclosed, the institution must continue to honor that request until informed to the contrary by the former student. If requested to withhold Directory Information by a student after he or she has left the institution, the institution may, but is not required to, comply with the request.

Information Which May be Designated as Directory Information

Saint Peter’s University hereby designates the following information as public or "Directory Information." Such information may be disclosed without a student's previous consent by the University for any purpose, at its discretion:  

  • Student Name(s) and Spirit Number
  • Address Information (local, permanent, and email)*
  • Telephone number (local and permanent)
  • Date and place of birth
  • Program major(s)/concentration(s), and minor(s)
  • Student activities including athletics
  • Dates of attendance
  • Date of graduation, degrees sought/conferred, and other academic awards
  • Most recent previous school attended and/or high school
  • Academic awards and scholarships, including Dean’s List
  • Full or Part-time status

 * Address information is not provided without a written request indicating the reason for the information.

As of January 3, 2012, the U.S. Department of Education's FERPA regulations expand the circumstances under which your education records and Personally Identifiable Information (PII) contained in such records — including your Social Security Number, grades, or other private information — may be accessed without your consent. First, the U.S. Comptroller General, the U.S. Attorney General, the U.S. Secretary of Education, or state and local education authorities (Federal and State Authorities) may allow access to your records and PII without your consent to any third-party designated by a Federal or State Authority to evaluate a federal or state-supported education program. The evaluation may relate to any program that is "principally engaged in the provision of education," such as early childhood education and job training, as well as any program that is administered by an education agency or institution. Second, Federal and State Authorities may allow access to your education records without your consent to researchers performing certain types of studies, in certain cases even when we object to or do not request such research. Federal and State Authorities must obtain certain use-restriction and data security promises from the entities that they authorize to receive your PII, but the Authorities need not maintain direct control over such entities. In addition, in connection with Statewide Longitudinal Data Systems, State Authorities may collect, compile, permanently retain, and share without your consent PII from your education records, and they may track your participation in education and other programs by linking such PII to other personal information about you that they obtain from other Federal or State data sources, including workforce development, unemployment insurance, child welfare, juvenile justice, military service, and migrant student records systems.

Procedure to Withhold Directory Information

Saint Peter’s University will not partially withhold Directory Information, so students are advised to think carefully before withholding disclosure as this may prevent third-parties from obtaining critical information in a timely manner, including degree conferral and enrollment verification. To withhold disclosure of Directory Information, written notification must be provided. Saint Peter’s University assumes that failure on the part of any student to specifically request the withholding of Directory Information indicates individual approval for disclosures. If students wish to restrict the release of Directory Information, they should contact the University Registrar, who will explain the ramifications and provide a statement for the student to sign as indication they do not want Directory Information released.

Policy Notification

At the beginning of each fall and spring semester, every student enrolled at Saint Peter’s University receives an email from the Registrar containing an updated FERPA policy for the current academic year. The policy also appears in academic catalogs, and printed copies are available in the Enrollment Services Center.


Enrollment Services Center

University Registrar

2641 John F. Kennedy Boulevard

Jersey City, NJ 07306

phone: (201) 761-6050   fax: (201) 761-6051